The Bolt Dog

Image may contain: Nick Seidel, dogImage may contain: plant, dog, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

We found Bolt at a race I was timing in Helotes that was benefiting a rescue shelter. I would often take the boys to timing jobs but this one was extra special because they had all the dogs out for people to run with if they wanted.

River ran the 5k with Bolt and instantly fell in love with him. Bolt was already named because the movie had come out recently and he looked a lot like the cartoon. He lived up to his name because he was notorious for bolting in various forms and in the end, was his tragic demise.

When we went to sign the papers for Bolt at the shelter they actually had diapers on him because I guess they thought he had a peeing problem there. I thought it was the silliest thing to have a dog in diapers. When we got home, we ripped those suckers off but he was always my baby dog. He only had accidents when other dogs had been around to mark his territory.

Like I said Bolt lived up to his name, he was a free spirit and loved to run and sniff and mark around the neighborhood. For a good chunk of his life, his partner in crime was Dutches, a German shorthair that we had also inherited/rescued... It seems when Dutches was around he was less likely to dig out and escape.

Bolt loved people and loved the boys. He would much rather sit on a lap or lay with the boys, especially River than EAT! We had many afternoon naps together and I think that was his joy in life, being with his humans, being close. He also loved to run, ride in the car and swim in the river.

Bolt could pretty much get out of any yard if he had enough time and was lonely. One of the last times he got out, with his "Bolt" collar and a dog tag with my number on it, I had gotten like 5 calls that afternoon. I could not leave work but eventually, one of the calls was able to return him from home. On one of his escapes, he had actually made it all the way across 35 and was found and people called. So I guess you could say he was on borrowed.

 For his escape ability is why he had to stay inside most of the time. With me and my brother Zuri working he had many hours alone in the house. This always bothered me I could not spend more time with him to play, run and chill.

The past 5-7 years had not been easy for me with lots of changes and loss. Having my little buddy bolt with me offered many times of comfort and companionship. I am so grateful for his time in my and the boys' life. He was a great "little dog" what I always called him.

When things like this happen we always coulda woulda shoulda and kick ourselves. I should have had him on a leash like I have been doing more because of this reason. It was at night and I thought the traffic was low and he loves to run free. He was in front of me on the left side of the street, I was crossing to the right. I saw the car coming and yelled for him to cross. Instead he ran up further to sniff another spot, hesitated then Bolted directly into the path of the car. He was gone by the time I came to him, spasmed a few more times and his muscles relaxed, he did not suffer I am grateful for that.

We will miss you Bolty Dog 💓🐶


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waking up on Saturday Morning

Mono-cropping, Glyphosate our Soil and our Future

Living to the Plus- Connection- Networking- Groups - Mentors - Leaders- Servant Leaders